Most of us pay attention to what we put into our bodies but we should also look at what we put on our bodies with our skincare routine. The skin is the largest organ of the body and what we put onto it is absorbed directly into it.
...when you rub for example, straight Lavender onto the skin, it is absorbed within 20 minutes through the top layer of your skin and can take only one hour to be absorbed by the liver...
Dr Peneol founder of Medical Aromatherapy’s notes state that when you rub for example, straight Lavender onto the skin, it is absorbed within 20 minutes through the top layer of your skin and can take only one hour to be absorbed by the liver, and if using a water soluble essential oil, it will be excreted by the kidneys and through to the urinary system.
So pay attention to the ingredients in your skin care products.
How you can start reducing your exposure to toxins:
Avoid mineral oils, petroleum jelly, liquid paraffin, petrolatum – these are all sold as remedies for dry skin but instant relief will also result in long-term worsening of the problem as their additives clog the pores and strip the skin of natural oils, making your skin dependant on these toxins.
- Beware of ingredients with “eth” in the name like laureth or “oxynol” or “PEG” as these have been linked with cancer and known to interfer with the reproductive hormones.
- Avoid formaldehyde-releasing ingredients. Companies use them as preservatives but it is known to be extremely toxic. E.g. Ingredients listing Urea.
- Avoid parabens as these are known to interfere with normal hormone functioning. They are used as preservatives in moisturizers and can cause allergic reactions and skin rashes. They have also been found in breast cancer tumors!
- Avoid synthetic fragrances. The word fragrance can refer to thousands of ingredients, most of which are not required to be listed so you don’t know what that nice smelling spray is doing to you. Look out for Hyper-pigmentation i.e. nasty brown spots, as these may be an outward reaction, which makes you wonder what is happening at a cellular level. Look for products with 100% natural claims. Nature has some amazing smells!
- Avoid artificial colours. I know nice yellow cream looks good, but any ingredient with a number after it was derived from Coal tar which is known to cause cancer. They are not needed – you want your skin to be skin colour and it already is.
It’s a minefield I know, but stick to products as close to nature as possible and you will be fine. Harmful toxins don’t grow on trees – Have you heard of a DEA, Urea, Ethyl, Butyl, propyl, or benzoate, tree?
Every ingredient in the Black Chicken Remedies range of products is there to nourish your mind and body.
Founder and CEO of Black Chicken Remedies